Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tubey98
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Unknown Oil Leak location

Post by Tubey98 »

After going out in the minor for the first time since I passed my test I came back to find that oil was dripping from the engine but me and my dad aren't sure where the leak is coming from. It is dripping on the left side of the engine (near the dipstick) We can only think that it is the oil filter gasket but we recently converted it to a spin off oil filter with a new gasket. It only drips when the engine is running and it drips around 20 times a minute. So far we have tightened the sump bolt and the oil filter mount bolts but still no luck. Has anybody got any idea what it could be? :-?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Unknown Oil Leak location

Post by bmcecosse »

Wipe it all spotlessly clean and note carefully exactly where it's coming from... Very likely to be whatever you have disturbed.....The gasket where the adapter bolts to the block is often very 'skimpy' shall I say - you may do better to make a more robust one from a cornflake packet.
ImageImage
Tubey98
Minor Friendly

Post by Tubey98 »

Thanks How would you recommend cleaning the engine? Jet washing it seems to harsh.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

If you bought a spin off filter kit the filter head/housing invariably does not come with the adapter between the filter head and the external transfer pipe that goes to the block.
There are two adapters that are used with the spin off oil filter head - they are:-
1/4 BSP parallel thread with a parallel 1/4 BSP thread in the filter head
and
1/4 BSP taper thread with a taper 1/4 BSP taper thread in the filter head.
The two are not really interchangeable and the use of the wrong adapter could be the source of your oil leak.
The taper threads are self sealing but I have found that the parallel threads can be better sealed with a 1/4 BSP Dowty washer.
I have attached a link so as you can see what I mean about the adaptors which are items No: 147 and 161 in the link.
http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-mo ... 275cc.html
Check that the copper washers either side of the transfer pipe where it is fitted to the bock are sealing.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Clean with paraffin (or kerosene :roll: ) and an old paint brush.. Then a squirt of 'carb and choke' cleaner to degrease it thoroughly. And as phil suggets - it may be leaking at the pipe joints -I was assuming the joint where the adapter bolts to the block.
ImageImage