Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cheezy_munkey
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Temperature Gauge

Post by cheezy_munkey »

Looking for some advice re the above. Do you ever feel that it's one step forward and 2 back? :roll:

I recently decided to board up the right hand side glove compartment. It looked quite unsightly before and I wanted to reposition the oil and temperature gauges from their previous location as I kept hitting my knees off them.

Here's how it looked before ...

[frame]Image[/frame]

I made a blanking panel from a £2 bit of wood from B&Q and put holes in it. I then managed to remove the oil pressure gauge but I couldn't seem to disconnect the temperature gauge so instead disconnected it from the engine block, fed the pipe through into the car and then fed it through my piece of wood and back to the engine again where I reconnected it. After doing this the oild pressure gauge is still working but the temperature one isn't. I'm pretty sure I was quite gentle with it (i.e. didn't drop it or anything) but I'm wodering if anyone has any experience of these gauges and would know what the problem is.

Here's how it looks now. I think it's really tidy, just a shame that the gauge doesn't work anymore. PS. I also cleaned up the carpet and replaced the seats ...

[frame]Image[/frame]

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Paul.

Auld Mick
beero
Minor Legend

Re: Temperature Gauge

Post by beero »

Is it an electric gauge with wire to the engine or does it have a small bore pipe? If the latter the pipe is very delicate and will fracture then the gauge will not work. I do not believe they are repairable. I had to buy a new gauge.
Nice job by the way.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The tube was filled with ether - it must have been damaged if now not working. You can try returning it to the manufacturer for repair - but I wouldn't hold out much hope for it.
ImageImage
cheezy_munkey
Minor Fan

Post by cheezy_munkey »

Thanks for advice John and BMC. I suspected it was knackered. I guess i'll need to get a new gauge.
There's one I saw on Ebay but i'm not sure if the sensor would fit. Would anyone know if a sensor size (Sensor Mounting Thread: NPT1 / 8") would fit?
Cheers again,
Paul

Auld Mick
johngrigg
Minor Friendly

Post by johngrigg »

The capilliary type can be fixed,but the last time I had it done it would have been cheaper to get a new one. I suggest you remove the battery before you feed your nice new tube through the bulkhead. Shorting them out on the battery does them no good at all. Don't ask how I know.....
cheezy_munkey
Minor Fan

Post by cheezy_munkey »

I had a look at it when I took it back off. I can see what's damaged it. I'd folded the pipe over to tidy it. Didn't realise that it's got a very thin metal pipe through the middle and must've snapped it. Ho hum. Ordered an electric one off Ebay. It's the same size and should still look ok.

Thanks for advice.

Auld Mick
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

What type of electric gauge will you be getting? If it is Smiths it will very likely need the 10v voltage stabiliser as well - running directly off 12v will make you think your engine is running rather hot!
Richard

cheezy_munkey
Minor Fan

Post by cheezy_munkey »

It's just a cheap non brand make off Ebay. It's Ebay item number 390572822400.
The one that was in it previously was TIM make.

Auld Mick
tom1985
Minor Friendly

Post by tom1985 »

Looks good. I'm planning something similar for my 1000. The driver's side glove box frame and lining is missing anyway, there's just a hole, so I thought I might as well make up a new panel and fit oil / water / amp gauges in there instead. What thickness of wood did you use to make the panel out of, and how is it attached to the dashboard?

Also, does anyone know where I can get the voltage regulator for the electric Smith's type temperature gauge? Ordered the gauge and sender from ESM, but they don't seem to sell the regulator.
MMOC member no. 70792
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

There may be one on the back of your speedo - what year is car/what colour is speedo?
ImageImage
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Here is a link on how to make your own 10v regulator, you should be able to get all the components from Maplin, if not try RS components.

http://www.britishv8.org/articles/MGB-v ... ilizer.htm
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

I fitted the electric version, the cable goes where my blue spade connector is shown in the photo at the rear of the speedo[frame]Image[/frame]
Where angels fear to tread
Robbiet9999
Minor Fan

Post by Robbiet9999 »

Done the same kind of thing but my glove box lid can shut to hide the gauges when parked.[frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by Robbiet9999 on Wed May 29, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henrietta
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The blue spade above would be better with an insulating sleeve fitted....
ImageImage
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Ah yes, I can count on you BMC :lol: its pulled up the cable for the photo.
A picture speaks a thousand words though, hope its of some use to fitters of temp gauges all the same.
Where angels fear to tread
tom1985
Minor Friendly

Post by tom1985 »

Cheers bmcecosse, there was indeed a voltage regulator on the back of the speedo. My temperature gauge is now all wired up and working fine, but not fixed to anything yet. I'm in the process of making a cover for the driver's side glove box hole, which will hold the temperature, oil, and amp gauges. Will post photo when finished!
MMOC member no. 70792
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Wot -no vacuum gauge ?? :roll: :lol:
ImageImage
tom1985
Minor Friendly

Post by tom1985 »

Vacuum gauge would be of limited use - my understanding of the vacuum unit's role in my car extends as far as 'it's got one'! :D

Anyway, here's the finished result of my take on the 'where to put the gauges' question. The surround is just a bit of 3.6mm plywood, painted body colour, and held in place with 3 self tappers.[frame]Image[/frame]
MMOC member no. 70792
Robbiet9999
Minor Fan

Post by Robbiet9999 »

Looks good to me.
Henrietta
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As most on here will know - I was joking about the vacuum gauge...... Only steam (and early diesel) locomotives use vacuum gauges - and they have two of them....... :D
ImageImage