is the guy mad or am i just out of touch?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
marcusthemoose
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

is the guy mad or am i just out of touch?

Post by marcusthemoose »

happened across a j reg traveller yesterday with a for sale sign on the windscreen, and thought to myself "best i have a look at her". after some investigation, this was the verdict:
front wings both going next to door pillars
doors shut poorly
wood with small amounts of filler in it
every panel either dented, paint chipped or crazed, or micro-blistered, without exception
good interior
chassis legs patched in 3 places
holes in jacking points
and a plate SCREWED with self tappers to the underside of the wood on the sill, next to the spring hanger (which also had evidence of welding)
no tax or MOT, last on the road 2006
think the guy never realised was i had telephoned him the night before :P and i new he was asking £3200 for it- but my curiosity got the better of me and i went to see it in the light, going there on the pretence that me and my dad were looking for an elderly friend. he says to me "what would you give me for it young man" to which i replied "without a tax and MOT, that's a 2k car"
apparently, it was now £3500! his reasoning behind the price? you look on the internet....
so, it begs the question- is he crazy, or am i just too tight?
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Re: is the guy mad or am i just out of touch?

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

marcusthemoose wrote: "without a tax and MOT, that's a 2k car" - is he crazy, or am i just too tight?
Your being the opposite of tight! Thats never worth 2 grand... With an mot you would get over a grand, but that sounds a pretty bad car, in need of a full resto, and a terrible car to start with at that.. Value of a good second hand interior?.... A few hundred..
___Anne___

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The cover plates on the wood at the rear are screwed to the timber.......... That's ll they are - just covers. It doesn't sound like £2k to me - certainly not £3.5k!!
ImageImage
marcusthemoose
Minor Fan

Post by marcusthemoose »

cheers chaps, i knew i was right (ish) i said to my mate when we saw it in the dark, that if it was under £1500 i would consider it. the chap had evidently had all the work done on the underside, and was looking to sell it on for a handsome profit, as he had owned it for "not very long". with the 2k estimate i was trying to let him down gently- i said to him "its worth half what you want to be honest, thats a 2k car tops" (the real story, not just a ploy to make me look better, no word of a lie) the thing that begs the question is why, after doing all the work, did he not get an MOT on it? we suspect that either the work is unsatisfactory (which tbh it is) or there is is a problem with the braking or electrical system (maybe brakes after being standing for so long). either way, i hope some poor unfortunate passer by does not get conned out of their hard earned cash. its in 3 legged cross, dorset if anyone is looking.
WPR678B
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by WPR678B »

marcusthemoose wrote: its in 3 legged cross, dorset if anyone is looking.
Whereabouts exactly? Must admit, i've not seen it! :lol:

marcusthemoose
Minor Fan

Post by marcusthemoose »

where the jag garage is on the roundabout,take the turn off toward woolsbridge and its just before the speed camera. must be the second or third house down- go check it out and back me up :lol: . its sometimes just got its nose out on the road, or mostly its parked down the drive, park in the industrial units next door,i did. makes getting out easier.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Prices are on the way up and with a little efforthe could get 32k or more (not from me!), but without an MOT I think he's overly optimistic to ask £3500!
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(