Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lambrettalad
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

2011 classic car show NEC auto jumble

Post by lambrettalad »

Hi just returned from the NEC great show,our club stand is excellent.
However the prices being asked in the auto jumble section put bankers to shame :x I think i'll wait for the normal Auto jumbles to come round :D
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Re: 2011 classic car show NEC auto jumble

Post by chrisryder »

people have to pay so much to have a stand there that all the prices are high in a bid to recoup losses. trouble is the public have to pay lots to get in too, so they're not willing to part with their money either.

vicious cycle!

i'll be there on sunday care of the wolseley register :D
dellerie
Minor Fan

Post by dellerie »

i'm going with the wife on sunday. i'll try not to come home with anything i don't really need like most other years.....
Jefftav
Minor Addict

Post by Jefftav »

Isn't against the law to come back from an autojumble without something you don't really need but use one day :o

I sometimes go to an AJ at Scorton when down that way and the prices even at these events can be a bit pricey. Some sellers are really good at pricing and haggling but others just haven't a clue.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

See you Sunday :)
[sig]3580[/sig]
rossrox
Minor Fan

Post by rossrox »

im going on Saturday, cant wait, was hoping the auto jumble was going to be cheap but ohwell :(
...............................................ЯR................................................

IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

I've looked at having a stall there from time to time, but the costs are off putting unless you're a very much full time autojumbler or supplier of new components. Hence its mainly expensive shiny bits and less a varied range of autojumble. Can be good for stocking up on new tools and consumables but real autojumble finds and bargains are rare...

I'll be there though, either with my barn find Minor pickup on the LCV stand or with the Railton Club. Its a huge show this year and well worth going to, expensive autojumble or not![frame]Image[/frame]
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

I've been for the last two days and this is the best looking car I have ever seen,the best amongst a load of FAB motors ( in my humble opinion)[frame]Image[/frame]
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

oops sorry about the picture size :oops:
Cheers Alex

[/color]
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Thats gorgeous, what is it?
___Anne___

ErnstBlofeld

Post by ErnstBlofeld »

Don't know if anyone has picked this up...

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/blog ... -this-year

It's number 7 on the list: an Alfasud engined Morris (Austin) Minor van.
orb596
Minor Fan

Post by orb596 »

Several of us went up from the Dorset Branch yesterday and had a fantastic day. Once again a superb show and our club stand was very good. Lots of Moggies to be seen dotted around the show on various stands. My favourite stand though had to be The Bexhill Motor Club with the 6 recently discovered Morris's on it. All of them completely unrestored and as found - superb. Really could have done with more than a 1 day visit to see everything the show has to offer. :D
Laurie Blewer
MMOC member since 1986
Dorset Branch Secretary for ever!!!!
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

The alfasud engined van was at this year's National Rally - there's a few more pics of it here: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... n&start=15

Eric - 1971 Traveller
KatiePotatie
Minor Fan

Post by KatiePotatie »

I went yesterday, and was absolutely disgusted at the price of entry, charging at cash machines, charging for breathing etc etc. I didn't think it fair that there was a 'senior citizens' discount, but no student discount. I bought my ticket on the day, and was mortified that it was so much!

I didn't think the autojumble was too bad though, they had some nice carpets, although there was an awful lot of random not car related stuff (girdles??!!! And not even good ones at that).

Had a good day though, despite being cleaned out of monies by the NEC.
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

As with all these type of events it's always cheaper to book in advance than pay on the door, plus there was an additional discount available to MMOC members (£15.50 - cheaper than the OAP 'pay on the door' discount!). I couldn't make it due to work commmitments but will hopefully be able to get there next year.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
KatiePotatie
Minor Fan

Post by KatiePotatie »

The people at the ticket office told us they hadn't heard of any discount, and for those of us who were unable to purchase tickets in advance, it's sort of rubbing salt into the wound a little bit.

I thought that the price, be it in advance or on the day was extortionate, and I hope that the price they were charging means our insurance will be better in the future. But we all know that ain't going to happen.

The NEC will be counting their pennies and laughing at us poor fools that have been ripped off.
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

The £25 ticket price is actually fairly cheap for NEC prices. To watch a pop concern can easily hit the £70 per ticket. Comparing it to a night out, a meal with the family a trip to the football etc, then it is fairly average. :D
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

KatiePotatie
Minor Fan

Post by KatiePotatie »

Perhaps for someone who isn't a student, yes, but I don't go to the football, or take 'the family' out for meals in places that cost so much...(the cats wouldn't appreciate it for starters)

Top Gear live was over £40, but I wasn't paying to go to see that. It's not just the price of a ticket anyway, the fact that the parking was a further £8, and then to draw money out of a cash machine cost £1.99! £3 - odd for a coffee, cheapest food I found was a samosa for £1.50...I think for a ticket that cost over £20, parking should have been free.

Tickets for the motorbike show were much cheaper, and for some reason you could buy separate tickets for that, but not for the car show, I had to buy a ticket for entry to both :-?

Glad you see my point though :roll: It's becoming clear why there are so few younger members - being involved in any car club costs one hell of a lot of money, and that's just on going to places, not spending money on your car.
leafie
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by leafie »

Well it looks like that was an expensive day out for me as subject to a satisfactory test drive I’ve bought a traveller. :D
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

KatiePotatie wrote:It's becoming clear why there are so few younger members
mmm... my membership details for the Young Members Register tell a different story with more people joining everyday :D
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE