53 split screen

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Birchall
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

53 split screen

Post by Birchall »

Hi,

I bought a 53 split screen 2 door (Black) a couple of months back.

Paid £2,700, MOT.d and a reasonable runner.

It was VERY VERY solid but "scabby".

No signs of ANY welding.

It was made in the year I was born (Yes I AM old!) and so I plan to keep this car (I normally don't hang on to any car for long.)

I went to a sprayer that I trust and asked for a quote, SHOCK HORROR :o FOUR THOUSAND POUNDS !!!
No panels needed, no welding needed, no significant rust damage to repair !!!!!
The reason it was so high was due to really poor door / wing gaps.
There was a lot of "manipulation" needed to get the gaps even close to acceptable.

After I picked myself off the floor I worked out the number of hours he would be putting in and decided to trust him!!

Just had a call tonight *SIX WEEKS LATER", telling me that the job is finished and the car is coming home this week.

I already have a garage full of new parts ready to go on when it is back (over £2,000)
The seats are just being sorted by a trimmer friend of mine, they will still be looking well used but with any tears etc. repaired (I am not sure about having an interior that looks new on a car that is so old, so I am not planning to buy new (correct) seat coverings.
The same friend is also retriming the three roof lining panels in some sympathetic material (as close as is sensible to the original).

I plan to have the engine out when she is back and sort out the engine (paint) and engine bay, it just needs a bit of a rub down and some paint (any recomendations on the best paint to use for the engine bay?)

I will be keeping the car standard but it will not be concours, or a "Garage Queen", I plan to use her occasionally (dry days only) So I will retain the 950 and related gearbox and keep the brakes standard.

To be honest I could have run around in her for a while, she was not that bad, but once I decided to bring her back to top condition, that was it!

I will try to keep you posted on progress.

Bu the way, I bought the white 4 door that was known as "Archie" (mentioned in a couple of posts in this section). I wanted something to run around in for a while.
The plan is to "modernise" Archie a bit, with a servo, disc brakes, etc., Archie is pretty (Old English White) with a fresh red interior, but it is more of a car to be used than "shown", so I don. mind if he is not kept standard.
I don't really have time to do both, so I am looking for someone local to fit the brake conversion etc. (already have the parts) (again, any recomendations? Middlesex area?)

So a busy time ahead and I am REALLY looking forward to getting the 53 back on the road.

Some photos of the 53 (before!) and "Archie".!!![frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by Birchall on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mach2
Minor Fan

Re: 53 split screen

Post by mach2 »

where abouts in middlesex are you cos i am in middlesex aswell :D . im pretty sure i know a garage that might be able to do the conversion :lol:
the car looks brilliant and the wheels look brilliant 8) nice car!

if in doubt give it a clout!
Birchall
Minor Friendly

Post by Birchall »

mach2 wrote:where abouts in middlesex are you cos i am in middlesex aswell :D . im pretty sure i know a garage that might be able to do the conversion :lol:
the car looks brilliant and the wheels look brilliant 8) nice car!
Staines /Wraysbury.

I don't mind a bit of a journey, Middlesex is quite a big area isn't it.

Cheers
Steve B

Birchall
Minor Friendly

Post by Birchall »

All booked in for Tuesday, estimated 6 hours. (Thanks Mach2)

I would do the job myself, but not only have I now got the 53 back from the paintshop, but we are in the middle of a house extension etc.

I am a great believer in "Do It Yourself", every time my wife asks me to do a job I say "Do It Yourself" :D

heathy12
Minor Fan

Post by heathy12 »

Don't mean to Hi-jack....But....

Seeing your Alfie made me think of my 'Bob'!

Only 506 and two doors between them! :lol:

JLH MORRIS MINOR RESTORATION & MODIFICATION
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Heathy do you have a build thread for that beaut? :) Also it looks goggle eyed in that pic, something to do with the headlamp bulb angles..
___Anne___

Birchall
Minor Friendly

Post by Birchall »

heathy12 wrote:Don't mean to Hi-jack....But....

Seeing your Alfie made me think of my 'Bob'!

Only 506 and two doors between them! :lol:
It was a friendly hijack and not a problem at all.

It looks like Archie and Bob have had their numbers stripped at some stage.

I have just bought a dateless reg for Archie, PIJ 708 so that he looks more appropriate.
I am also getting rid of the "modern reflective plates" and getting black and silver ones on like Bob has.
Little things like that make so much difference.

Have fun!!!
Steve B

minor 62
Minor Friendly

Post by minor 62 »

it also has the side light/ indicator unit removed
Birchall
Minor Friendly

Post by Birchall »

minor 62 wrote:it also has the side light/ indicator unit removed
And the bonnet clips indicate that there may be other mods, it would be interesting to find out the "spec"

Steve B

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Tiny orange lights (LED) replacing the front bumper bolts = indicators?

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

ASL642 wrote:Tiny orange lights (LED) replacing the front bumper bolts = indicators?
Well spotted and very neat, only really visible at night I would imagine, but if it passes mot :)
___Anne___

Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

Door - wing gaps are very tricky. It takes two people and several hours to get them spot-on. But still...not all that difficult...loosen door bolts, move door (with both people) into proper position, tighten bolts, hope it's right (cuz if it's not, do it again!); then loosen wing bolts, move wing into appropriate position, tighten, do same for other side, do same for rear doors if four-door. Shouldn't've cost too much more than just the paint job, I'd expect.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.