Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GPO_Van
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Welding a Traveller

Post by GPO_Van »

First, thanks for all the information I have gleaned from this site due to all of you experts.
I have recently bought a1959 Traveller that needs a great deal of welding, much more than I thought when I first bought it, under both front wings, all of the nearside sill and floor is totally rusted away plus the cross member, the off side it is only the sill and cross member.
All of the wood is in amazingly good condition except for the piece behind the rear bumper.
My question is: - are there any major pitfalls that I could have unforeseen problems with? And have any of you any practical advice to make the task easier?
I have a welder who is retired and fully time served who will be doing the welding and I have bought all the bits from Bull Motif, who by the way are really friendly and helpful
Thanks in advance
Reg
PS I have also but on an electrical question
taupe
Minor Legend

Re: Welding a Traveller

Post by taupe »

Hi

Before you cut out any steel... take plenty of measurements and look at door gaps and fits etc. You are looking for any areas where the body is out of alignment eg dropped or loose door pillar (A post and B post).. and deal with these areas first.

Then once you happy with the overall alignment weld some steel braces across and preferably also along the car to keep it all in straight.

Do the sills and front end first as far as you can before removing the timber (if you need to).

Remove or carefully protect all of the glass and trim before doing any grinding or welding.

Be prepared to find further rot when you open it all up :D :D

But most important of all enjoy the challenges!

Taupe
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

You really need to remove the timber to restore a Traveller properly! As Taupe has hinted, when the wood is off more rust may be revealed. Best to do a proper job in one go. Fit the new panel work to suit the wood, not vice-versa.

The side of my Traveller pictures, I replaced that and restored all the metal work underneath.

(The wood all unscrews/ unbolts, except the gutters which are nailed to the top rails through the roof- pry the gutters open and pry/ peel them off/ pull the nails out if you can).
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
GPO_Van
Minor Fan

Post by GPO_Van »

Thanks for both your advice.
I have already taken the doors off and noticed the door post had rotted off at the bottom. I can see that I will need the door back on to correctly position the post.
The chap who is doing the welding is starting this Saturday, he has worked on Morris's in the past and mentioned having to "jack cars into shape" on previous jobs.
Will keep you posted
Thanks again
Reg
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

He should only need to "jack the cars into shape" if the car has been in an accident!

I'd ask him a few questions before letting him loose on your car:-

How will he protect the inside of welded sections?

Butt welded repairs or lap welded?

How will he keep the car in shape?

cheers
John