Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
new_adventures_of_arthur
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Asbestos?

Post by new_adventures_of_arthur »

Hi, something that never really dawned on me until this afternoon at work (I doubt I'm the only one who's mind wanders).

The heat shield screwed to underneath of the front passenger footwell - is this made of asbestos? I suppose back then (1956) anything that was to be heat resistant, asbestos would have been an obvious choice.

I'm hoping that someone on here will tell me otherwise, but I want to know either way to be honest - then I know what I'm dealing with.

If it is, what have other people done to remove it (I dont want it there!!) and what have they replaced it with?

Also, is there anything else on the Minor that is made of asbestos?

Thanks in advnace,

Phil
Have now joined the 'cool kids' at [url]http://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk[/url] :wink:
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

I believe inside the heat shield the asbestos slab is the only bit of asbestos. To remove it undone half of the screws and got a hose inside and soaked it. I got a black bin liner and the best as I could got it around the shield on top of the exhaust and taped it in place. Then unscrewed the heat shield from the inside of the car until it fell off. When it fell off, I wet the car floor again and used a scraper to get any asbestos off that was stuck to the floor, keeping it wet with a small spray applicator to stop the fibres flying. All the residue went into the bag. I then closed the bag, sealed it and dumped the lot.

Someone mentioned the the sleeve holding the exhaust at the rear too, but I think this might be leather. That fluffy hide stuff inside the car inside the bulkhead isn't asbestos.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Phil,

it's up to you but it's not doing you any harm where it is.

Depending on it's age and how many miles it's done the clutch and brake linings may be asbestos.

Alec
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

certainly that small amount will not harm anyone
Mogwai
Minor Addict

Post by Mogwai »

Its white asbestos so will stay benign long as its not disturbed IE wire brushing it or cutting through it with an angle grinder etc
[sig]7538[/sig]
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

I can understand the reason for just wanting to get rid though... Once it's gone, the hazzard is no longer lying dormant or no longer a future threat. But each to their own. :D
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

new_adventures_of_arthur
Minor Fan

Thanks for the comments - really appreciated.

I think I would just rather get rid.

That bit of the floor needs replacing anyway - looks like the slab has been a bit of a water trap and rotted the floor.

think i'll just soak it, cut a square around the lot and chuck it.
Have now joined the 'cool kids' at [url]http://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk[/url] :wink:
ssnjimb
Minor Fan

Post by ssnjimb »

Asbestos is asbestos its a killer and i have got rid of my asbestos pad. my uncle is dying of mesothelioma after working as a jcb driver for 40 years when knocking down old buildings before the regs were introduced. He has it below his diaphragm and he cant breath if at all now.

Jamie
I own a 1974 MG Midget 1275 in Teal Blue "Midget" is what we call him and he is in very good to excellant condition "midget" is a Chrome bumper/Round Wheel arch model.
ssnjimb
Minor Fan

Post by ssnjimb »

I own a 1974 MG Midget 1275 in Teal Blue "Midget" is what we call him and he is in very good to excellant condition "midget" is a Chrome bumper/Round Wheel arch model.
new_adventures_of_arthur
Minor Fan

I just want rid of it now. Think I'm gonna duck-tape some thick plastic sheeting over/around the area, and just grind out the lot and chuck it.

I've spoke to the local council who've given me some advice on best way.
-wear top to toe overalls and a mask
-Spray it damp - not too wet as this can wash bits off and they can go to ground
-avoid using power tools if possible
-double bag in heavy duty plastic bags
-wipe down overalls
-dispose of the overalls in the bag with the slab
-label it clearly as asbestos and call the council to arrange free pickup

I appreciate some might think I'm going a little over the top, but I just want rid.

Also, am sorry to hear about your unlce, ssnjimb.
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

ssnjimb
Minor Fan

Post by ssnjimb »

Its ok phil

Your doing the right thing. you can never take enough cautions

Jamie
new_adventures_of_arthur
Minor Fan

Got it off.

Things didnt quite as planned, but did it the same way as Dean.
jackcranfield
Minor Friendly

Post by jackcranfield »

My car dates from 1967, did they still use asbestos on cars of this date, or was it only on earlier cars?
[sig]10889[/sig]
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Yes

It would have been used right through production. its in brake linings, clutch plates, gaskets heat shields etc. My 73 MGB has asbestos heat shielding within the car under tin foil on the transmission tunnel.

It also continued to be used in buildings as late as around yr 2000
Mogwai
Minor Addict

Post by Mogwai »

Asbestos in gaskets/ brakes etc was allowed to be used on newly manufactured cars & parts until sometime in the mid 90s . after that everything had to be asbestos free & only existing stock could be sold for a time.
[sig]7538[/sig]
jackcranfield
Minor Friendly

Post by jackcranfield »

It would have been used right through production. its in brake linings, clutch plates, gaskets heat shields etc. My 73 MGB has asbestos heat shielding within the car under tin foil on the transmission tunnel.
Really

Thanks taupe
[sig]10889[/sig]