How many users of the forum are members of the MMOC?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use

Are you a member of the MMOC?

No
No votes
No
5%
No - used to be
No votes
No - used to be
5%
No - but keep meaning to join!
2%
No - but keep meaning to join!
No votes
Yes - have been for many years!
56%
Yes - have been for many years!
No votes
Yes - recently joined
No votes
Yes - recently joined
24%
Yes - jury's still out on renewing though
No votes
Yes - jury's still out on renewing though
8%

Total votes: 59

new_adventures_of_arthur
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

How many users of the forum are members of the MMOC?

Post by new_adventures_of_arthur »

Just after reading another post regarding peoples opinions on the MMOC, it seems that a lot of people have a definite idea of their expectations of the club.

For me, what I have needed / do need from a "club" are:

>>having an official technical adviser (Rob Thomasson) - as I needed an MMOC official to verify that my minor registration was original when appyling for it from the DVLA

>>general advice from other owners

>>info on rallies

>>buy/sell used parts

I am a member of the MMOC, though for the things that I need most, I dont need to be. Granted, I did need the MMOC as an official body to verify my registration, but thereafter, the forum is all I need (which is kindly open to both members and non members).

Now I am not criticising the club, and enjoying reading the magazine, as it's nice to sit down with something to read - but just wondering what the main things are that others look for from a club.

There are a lot of regular posters on the forum that seem to organise their own rallies anyway (I might be able to attend one day!), and its a good place to buy/sell and exchange tips and advice.

Personally speaking, I suppose all I really need is the forum, though I do like the idea of supporting the club - but what for if I only ever need them for the forum? I suppose I'm undecided. :P

What does everyone else get out from the club? What are the main reasons that other people join?

:D
Last edited by new_adventures_of_arthur on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Have now joined the 'cool kids' at [url]http://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk[/url] :wink:
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Blaketon »

I've been in it for years but may not renew next year....unless I get a satisfactory reply to some points I raised with HQ.

For what its worth, I think Minor Matters is a good club publication. I don't get enough time to take part in events, so I'm not an active member in the club sense. However I am active in the sense that, for me, classic cars are a way of life (I don't own a "Modern" car, though my main means of transport is a bicycle).
Mike Shipman
Minor Fan

Post by Mike Shipman »

Ive been a member for 7 years and will probably remain so. The mag has improved for me in recent times with more technical content / info but I get most of my help through these forum pages.
That said, I think its important to be part of a larger collective group that wants to see the Minor retained for as long as possible, which for me is the MMOC.
It would be relly good to have some MMOC Cmmttee members active in the forum to join in some of the "debates".
Mike Shipman,
Seaton, Torpoint, Cornwall.
bigjohn
Minor Addict

Post by bigjohn »

just joined for the second time, first time was around 2004 when we had summer 69 2door saloon
[sig]10306[/sig]
new_adventures_of_arthur
Minor Fan

hmmm - things seem to have gone a little pear-shaped!

I edited my original message - then all of the poll questions disappeared - so I added it back in and everything reappeared.

eeerm, can someone help please? :oops:
Have now joined the 'cool kids' at [url]http://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk[/url] :wink:
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Mike Shipman wrote:It would be relly good to have some MMOC Cmmttee members active in the forum to join in some of the "debates".
Cam, RegaliaQueen (Lou) and BPR81A (Jon) are comittee members. I agree though, it would be good to see some other committee members on here. Paticuarly Ray Newell and Sandy Hamilton

* editted to correct the spelling of my name!

Cam

Post by Cam »

Mike Shipman wrote:It would be relly good to have some MMOC Cmmttee members active in the forum to join in some of the "debates".
I used to, but the simple answer to that one is that the committee generally don't have the time! and certainly don't have the time to get involved with on-line arguments and flame-wars!

I myself, through this messageboard in the past, have had sleepless nights, been threatened and abused all for trying to provide a service for Morris Minor owners to use to get free help and advice which will hopefully keep their cars on the road. That's what we are all here for: The Morris Minor, which is a lovely little car and that's what we should remember.

Some other car clubs have had messageboards that have come and gone due to there being far too much 'aggro' and now they don't have them. In the past, I have begged and pleaded for this messageboard to stay and it has! I have also been contacted by other messageboard owners asking for advice when their 'completely free speech - no rules' messageboards have collapsed into complete anarchy. Our T&Cs are there for the same reason as the law - simply we can't function properly without!
Cam, RegaliaQueen (Lou) and BPR81A (Jon) are comittee members. I agree though, it would be good to see some other committee members on here. Paticuarly Ray Newell and Sandy Hamilton
I can answer that one VERY easily! They simply don't have the time because they are busy. Usually with club business!

I never realised until fairly recently how much work Ray & Sandy (to name two) actually do! Events, correspondance, contacts, legislation, publications, research, organisation, etc, etc... I would not like their jobs for a minute!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I joined the MMOC shortly after buying my Series MM in 1978 when there were less than 500 members and met a local Series MM owner who joined when there were less than 50 members. I joined the local branch and was branch secretary for many years and by attending rallies and AGMs got to know many of the people in the MMOC, particularly in Series MM circles. I was asked to take on the position of Regional Liaison Officer (everyone else had gone home) and when the position was vacated I took over running the Series MM Register.
I have over the years had a certain amount of input into the MMOC particularly with the running of the Series MM Register which I hope performs a worthwhile task in supporting the cars and owners.
[sig]3580[/sig]
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

I don't think that this messageboard would collapse given the chance for open debate/discussion.
I think the suggestion that the committee are too busy to look at or read this forum is a bit patronising to those of us who also have pretty full day jobs and evening involvements. A cursory once a week glance at the forum could easily be within their reach.
I have made a suggestion in 'ideas' section which may help to organise discussion on here.
I don't think anyone on here is arguing anyway ,simply trying to offer suggestions as to how the club could be made more approachable and to at least have the messageboard visited,recognised as a valuable resource for all concerned.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

For me the club is so much more than just the web site, for those of you who dont take part in branch activities you are missing out. I have been a local and national club member since I was 17, Ive been on the Northern Ireland comittee since I was 18 and held various posts (presently magazine editor).

Through going on club runs and rallies Ive been to so many places that I wouldnt otherwise have been, but more importantly met some of the nicest most genuine people you could ever hope to meet. If you break down, some one will have the part you need, if you cant fix it someone will know how or do it for you. Need advice, you know were to go!

I still after 16 years of owning lots of minors enjoy driving them, restoring them and learning new skills to keep them motoring. The club is a part of that and will continue to be.

Regarding someone will have the part you need- one year on the Bandon rally an overseas visitor broke a halfshaft, believe it or not another member had a spare halfshaft tucked in beside the spare wheel ( must have been a boy scout) before very long the car was motoring again!!

Too many Minors so little time.....
new_adventures_of_arthur
Minor Fan

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH wrote:Regarding someone will have the part you need- one year on the Bandon rally an overseas visitor broke a halfshaft, believe it or not another member had a spare halfshaft tucked in beside the spare wheel ( must have been a boy scout) before very long the car was motoring again!!
That is pretty impressive!
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

used to be a member

my branch was pretty hopeless, so joined a non affiliated group and is very good

when the club changes then i will re join