What size Socket

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

just because something is done all the time does not make it right.. my dad was a hydraulic design engineer for most of his working life..so I never got the chance to bodge anything.. if we did not have the tool we would either buy it or make something on his lathe to get the job done.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I've seen plenty of steering wheel nuts that have been loosened by means other than the proper sized socket.
I think on my current car a centre punch has been used.
The "damage" is basically cosmetic and doesn't worry me in the least.

If I see bad practice like that rear wheel bearing that had spun and been bodged into place with a lump hammer and a screwdriver then I'll speak up.
This is just getting the job done without being too precious.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

During my apprenticeship I once said to my mentor 'That's near enough' the result of that remark made sure I never used it again.
So forgive me for using a spanner!
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

I think the moderators should remove bad practice methods along with all the other offences!
Can't see why we should if it isn't dangerous. One man's bad practice is another's time-saving trick, bending torsion bars is another one that comes to mind.

As for the steering wheel nut what is it worth? £2 maybe? Hardly a big drama if it gets a bit chipped or rounded, especially as it's hidden away. Chances are an average owner will only need to loosen it once or twice in their lifetime. Stopping the job to go out and get the exact tool just to keep the £2 nut pristine would be a waste of time & money for people who need to use their minors to get around.
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Perhaps the horn push should be removed to inspect the steering wheel nut for concourse judging!
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

And the rear drums to inspect the nuts - I assume master cylinder bolts are of course checked in case anyone has been foolish enough ( :roll: ) to put them in the wrong way round!
Hear hear for Chris - my sentiments exactly.
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Cowboys!! stop defending the indefensible.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Oh go on - stop pulling my leg! Chisel is often used on large nuts like this
One man's bad practice is another's time-saving trick
Both these remarks sounded familiar but for the life of me I couldn't remember where from, and then I remembered its from the immortal Bodge It and Scarper Manual on how to avoid using the right tool for the job :lol: even when its readily available.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
GDL
Minor Friendly

Post by GDL »

Well, pleased so say i used the correct size socket (33mm in the end) but was very tempted to chisel away. Anyway, got wheel off, only to find that the boss didn't fit (typical bought it off a chap selling bits by his car in a show), should have guessed, if it fitted it would have been on his car! :roll: :lol:

anyway ordered a new boss, so hopefully this will fit. The saga continues.....
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

i would be surprised if 33mm is the "correct" being an imperial car and all that.. but is probably more than close enough.. very annoying about the boss you have my sympathy..
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Both these remarks sounded familiar but for the life of me I couldn't remember where from, and then I remembered its from the immortal Bodge It and Scarper Manual on how to avoid using the right tool for the job even when its readily available.
I assume this was the standard BT employees handbook eh Kevin? :D

I'm amazed that I got 33mm right! Any rounding effect on such a large nut would be tiny I suspect.
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

On mine the 33mm didn't fit but the 34mm fits perfectly.

Regards
Declan
NZJLY
Minor Fan

Post by NZJLY »

1 5/16 = 33.3 mm.
And I will admit to using the chisel method on the steering wheel nut. I have also had a couple that were loose which is more of a worry. I have a smaller steering wheel, as it makes it so easy to get in (but harder to turn the wheel while trying to park :))
John
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I'm sticking to 3/4 Whitworth!
[sig]3580[/sig]
GDL
Minor Friendly

Post by GDL »

Finally got around to fitting it. But..... after fitting it reconnected the horn and nothing except when i turn the steering wheel left or right :lol: :lol: So removed the 2 pins that were supplied and bingo, no horn at all :roll:

Nevermind, the joys of old motoring, so decided to put on an independant switch instead (when i get around to fitting one that is)

Also the 33mm from Halfords worked a treat and didn't round the nut off either.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

This has gone on so long I have forgotten the original question :-?
[sig]3580[/sig]
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I don't know what "2 pins that were supplied" refers too, but if the horn only works when you turn the wheel you need to be looking at the brush that rubs on the brass ring on the steering column.
Also the felt bush that the column turns in.
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

The pins supplied with the universal aftermarket wheel bosses are usually for either horn contacts or indiator cancellation depending on which car you are fitting the wheel to. The Minor shouldn't need either pins in place and I suspect you have lost the connection to the brass ring somehow...
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php