Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mick_Anik
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Interesting comparison of old and new

Post by Mick_Anik »

As part of my search for the most economical way to convert a RHD Moggie to LHD, I popped into a Fiat dealer today and asked for a steering rack. He asked, obviously, which one. I replied: "Any will do".
The look on his face was marvellous!!!
Anyway, I explained that I just wanted to see a modern rack, so he went away and came back with a rack from a Tico.
I was amazed that anyone could trust such a thing. So small, so light, compared to the Minor rack I was holding.
It just goes to show how vehicle design has changed over the years. The Moggie was built with the goal of robustness, and economy was not really an issue since our fading empire controlled much of the oil flow. These days they count every gramme.
The Tico rack?
No comment!!!!!!!!!!!!! I much prefer the tank-like qualities of Minor parts.
paulhumphries
Minor Legend

Post by paulhumphries »

To convert to LHD you need a RHD MG Midget rack.
Swop over tie rods for Minor items and turn upside down for an orignal spec LHD Minor rack.

Paul H
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

You'll find with modern engineering there is an emphasis on "useful life". Cars therefore have a "useful life", this maybe seven or eight years, it's after this period parts really start to fail. Minors were very much "over engineered", but this was what customers wanted back then. Hence the reason why they last so long and modern day cars end up on the scrap heap beyond economical repair so young. The greater emphasis on material design has aided this "useful life" philosophy so materials can be designed purely for a specific component. So this Fiat rack was possibly only designed for 150,000 miles or seven years motoring which ever happened sooner.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

You'll find with modern engineering there is an emphasis on "useful life". Cars therefore have a "useful life", this maybe seven or eight years,
I'd dispute the 7 years claim - generally the aim is for durability OVER 160,000km / 10 years, and a lot have pushed this to over 240,000km.
A car company can't test a car for 10 years before releasing it, so 'accellerated testing' is done to replicate 10 years vehicle life within ~6 months. If you saw what they did to cars on test you'd most likely be amazed, but the vast majority of testing is done on the subsystems & components.
Each vehicle manufacturer has their own set of test specs and pass/fail criteria so there's generally a good reason why some cars last better than others. Accellerated testing will never match the real world 100% accurately but efforts are made to try to acheive that, and specs are updated regularly as a result.

If a modern car was over engineered it would cost a LOT more money. The sale price and reputation of some cars justifies this expense and on budget brands it just can't - so to over engineer a budget car would lead to no sales, then bankruptcy for the car maker. It's also worth remembering that any extra metal adds weight which reduces fuel economy - and nobody wants that at the moment!

Added to that, some periods may have required heavy cost cutting in the design and manufacture - this leads to poor cars as an end result. This can be very frustrating, but it's not so simple to brand one vehicle manufacturer as 'bad' if one car is poor. A few years back I made the mistake of having a 10 year old early Vectra estate (despite knowing their bad reputation) and it fell to bits! I currently have an 8 year old Astra diesel estate and am amazed how good it is in many ways. Looking on ebay there are plenty with over 250,000 Miles (400,000 km) still going well.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Your post made interesting reading Ray. I actually guessed the seven or eight years as like you say every manufacturer has it's own standards and criteria and policy.

To add to you post, as you will know, cost cutting goes on continuously. It's just very more aggressive during tough trading times. The general rule though is to cut cost in the car where the customer won't see or notice it. This over the years had led to car companies leaving areas under trim in just the nickel coated electrolysis covering. Toyota typically now just literally cover these areas in a fine mist of top coat. A huge saving in painting costs that the customer generally doesn't see. How many classics are taken apart in original state and they are beautifully sprayed under the carpets :).

It's important that the car company knows it's target customer very well when cutting costs. Otherwise like you say they'll just buy elsewhere.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

This over the years had led to car companies leaving areas under trim in just the nickel coated electrolysis covering.
I've seen that from a few car companies and was initially not impress by 'half painted' shells. I guess over time it becomes normal...
How many classics are taken apart in original state and they are beautifully sprayed under the carpets
sadly - none of mine!! :roll:
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Mogwai
Minor Addict

Post by Mogwai »

not a new idea the upper panels & rear bulkhead in the boot on my minor are unpainted, just the brown rotodip coating . or the spraypainters went on strike that day
[sig]7538[/sig]
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Friday car? :lol:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Mogwai
Minor Addict

Post by Mogwai »