Worrying Clunks!!!

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
DFrit
MMOC Member: No

Worrying Clunks!!!

Post by DFrit »

Ive just bought my first minor and need some info. There's worrying clunks coming from the front nearside area and the rear axle. Initially I thought the one at the front was the wheel bearing but, after tightening it the noise persists. When I go over a bump in the roar it makes a horrific vibration and feels like the entire hub is going to rip off! Any ideas?

The noise at the back is like a very loud creak or clunk when the axle comes under load eg. when pulling of or putting on the handbrake. Any info or advice would be great as at the moment the cars undriveable these noises are so bad!!!

Cheers.
Willie
Minor Legend

noises

Post by Willie »

Can only suggest,regarding the rear noise that you check
the spring anchorages....especially the rearmost ones
they are notorious for rusting through.
You should not be able to "tighten up the front bearings"
they should be done up tight when fitted!! at the front you
might check that the shock absorbers are not loose on their
mounts since they form the top anchorage for the front
suspension.
Willie
Cam

Post by Cam »

In addition to Willie's suggestions:

The front clunk may be a badly worn trunnion (probably lower), if you hear this when you apply the brakes when reversing at an angle then that is probably it.

It could either be the trunnion link pin, bushes or the screw threaded part of the trunnion itself.

It could also be the eyebolt, it's bushes or the fulcrum pin.

The best thing to do is to jack it up and place it on axle stands, wheel off, and take a large sturdy screwdriver and try prising at things (bottom trunnion to wishbone arms, eyebolt, etc.) there should not be any play normally. If the noise is as bad as you say, then it should be obvious when you start prying about!!

REAR:
Try checking the mountings, u-bolts and rubbers where the axle is bolted to the leaf springs, and the condition of the surrounding areas for rot, as I have had the axle mounting plates and the axle mounting brackets rot off which causes the noises you mentioned.

Cam. :D
Robins
Minor Fan

Post by Robins »

I had this problem on the front a while ago myself, well it could be the same problem anyway.
It turned out to be a combination of my exhaust silencer hitting the floor, and one of the nuts holding the gearbox rubber mount to chassis was completely missing! Worth a quick look.
an_avenger
Minor Fan

Post by an_avenger »

Would that expain the clunk noise when I apply the brakes? It seems to come from the engine bay NOT the brakes (which have subsquently been checked, replaced and set by a professional) It makes a dull clunk noise (similar to a train pulling away from a stop). Admittedly the front driver's damper (where the noise comes from) doesn't have one of the four bolts hold the damper to the bulkhead actually bolted in, but I thought that wouldn't make a difference.

Oh by the way how do you get the bolt into the eye? Its on the outside of the engine bay underneath the damper arm? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Lee & 'Pidge'