just been given a morris 1000, where do i start?

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
--sian--
MMOC Member: No

just been given a morris 1000, where do i start?

Post by --sian-- »

My grandad has just give me a morris 1000 and i would really like get it up and running.
Its been in his garage for about 15 years, it was in good working order when he put it there.
I think its runs off 4 star, so would i need to get the engine converted or is there something i could put in the engine to get it running?
Also would i need to use a special fluid to clean it out because its been sitting there for so long?
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Hi, Mine was sat for 20 years and it started.. so hopefully yours should be ok too. Bear with us though.. we will help you get this started one way or another...

You'll probably need to buy a new battery, points, plugs, leads, engine oil, gearbox oil, axle oil and replace the existing stuff.

Clean out the carb and top up with oil.

I used Superplus unleaded to get the 98 octane and pour in some redex lead replacement juice into the tank.

I'm at work at the moment and I'll think of some work when I get the chance..

Also my brakes had seized on and the old fluid had evapourated which mean't all the cylinders and pipes needed repairing or replacing.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The least of yur worries is the engine - it absolutely does NOT need converting to unleaded - it will run fine on normal pump fuel. Before you even try to start it - take the spark plugs and squirt some oil down the bores - then very gently try to turn the engine by hand - using the fan or better with the starting handle if you have one. If it turns ok - next thing is to spin it up on the starter motor until the oil-pressure light (orange) in the Speedo goes out - and then spin it for another burst of 5 seconds - and repeat for another 5 seconds. Then either clean or renew the plugs - clean the fuel pump contacts so it 'clicks' when you turn on the ignition - clean the distributer points and the inside of the cap - add some fresh petrol - replace the spark plugs, pull the choke out - and crank it to see if it fires! You may have to pour an egg-cup of petrol into the carb mouth to get it started first time. Come back with your problems - there will be some - don't worry! As with any old car - the body condition is far more important than getting it running. I've PMd you the link to download a free copy of the Workshop manual - read it well!
ImageImage
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Save the manual and just refer to the sections you need when you need them which will only be a few.
It has a very thin plot and the good guys win in the end :)
1st things you need are a good battery and some fresh petrol.
Some pictures and some history would be nice too.
eastona
Minor Fan

Post by eastona »

Welcome Sian,

All the advice so far is good, especially fluid change and BMC's engine advice. Please do give the brakes some attention as Dean suggests. It's fun making it go, but it's better in the long term for it too stop as well :D

Give the tyres (very important for safety!) and fan belt (important for peace of mind!) a check to make sure they're not cracked/perished or hard.

Once it's got an MoT etc. Drive it :D :D

Andrew
Maggie, 1969, 4 door, Almond Green.
And Project "Traveller"...
[sig]4253[/sig]
toginthemog
Minor Fan

Post by toginthemog »

I read on a thread about tyres that if they are over 6 yrs old they should be changed so check them thoroughly they say the rubber compound brakes down. not to sure if this is true my rear ones are 26yr old ?
[sig]8906[/sig]
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Mine was laid up for 25 years and the tyres 'looked' fine, but fitting new ones made me realise how bad the originals were, very hard and unrubbery (if thats a word)
alainmoran
Minor Addict

Post by alainmoran »

My current minor was sat for over 8 years with nothing done to it at all .. a couple of squirts of oil down the bores, and a few hand turns with cranking handle and it started fine with the old plugs (given a clean) ... longer term the tyres & fan belt needed replacing, brakes needed stripping and rebuilding (new seals), windscreen rubbers needed replacing (and some welding down the arches - it was stored outside), but other than that it passed the MOT fine with little done to it!!!!!
--sian--

Post by --sian-- »

awsome, thanks for all your help. il post some pictures up on the weekend. im not too sure on the history as it was my grandads. Il try my best to find out.
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Thank you Sian, new moggy owners are always made very welcome. Keep posting and we'll try our best to talk you through what needs doing.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

stevie78
Minor Friendly

Post by stevie78 »

[quote="bmcecosse"]The least of yur worries is the engine - it absolutely does NOT need converting to unleaded - it will run fine on normal pump fuel.
don't you have to put an additive in fuel tank if it takes 4 star?
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

You don't have to. You can just use ordinary unleaded petrol and plan to swap the head for an unleaded one if/when the exhaust valve seats burn out.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Which will not be for many years unless you drive the car very hard or long. It's doubtful if the additives actually DO anything useful - except Tetra-boost which actually contains tetra-ethyl lead, and so turns unleaded fuel into genuine leaded fuel ! It must not of course be used on a car with a catalyst!!
ImageImage
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Welcome aboard any enjoy sorting your new Moggie out.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706