Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Pascal
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

windscreen and windows seals replacement

Post by Pascal »

Hello,

How big a job is it to replace all rubber seals on a 4 door saloon (71): windscreen, windows, rear screen.

Regards,
Pascal
rupert
Minor Fan

Post by rupert »

the screens are ok. THere are some special tools and a few techniques out there, but If you take your time and have the help of a friend you should be fine. I've heard of washing up liquid and waxoyl being used as lubicants. The procedure is pretty much as described in the haynes manual ( a straightforward reversal of the removal procedure!)

As its a late car, you will have the plastic "chrome" strip which I believe is a little easier than the metal one.

Rupert
Pascal
Minor Fan

Post by Pascal »

How difficult is it to replace the velvet/rubber seals around the sliding windows? Do you just have to remove the door card or do you need to remove the glass pane as well?

Regards,
Pascal
1970 4-door saloon

alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

A saloon shouldn't have any sliding windows... Only the travellers have sliding windows in the back.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
eamonn
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by eamonn »

On the door mirror picture I posted you can just see the edge of the new weatherstrips window rubbers we had fitted. I read about them on Gareth's poachedegg site and bought some from ESM. Minor services fitted them for me and they're lovely. They give a nice seal against the window and hopefully keep more water out. They also stop the windows rattling which is a big plus.

However, I gather they were rather fiddly to fit because of the number of spring clips on the inside which keep slipping out of place and falling down into the door just when you think you've got them all in the right place.

As you can guess this is all hearsay as I confess I have a chap who does all this for me! (thanks, Ian)
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

the screens are ok.
Not always and the rear can be a real pain at times.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706