Search found 424 matches

by King Kenny
Mon Sep 28, 2026 8:15 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Ghost plates
Replies: 7
Views: 386

Re: Ghost plates

59Elva, you have it easy in the US. To park anywhere in the UK involves an exchange of vast amounts of money. The local government or parking firms have the situation pretty much sealed up. You are often identified by a camera as you enter a car park and there is no way of avoiding paying. Failure t...
by King Kenny
Mon Sep 28, 2026 4:37 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Ghost plates
Replies: 7
Views: 386

Re: Ghost plates

The Asda/public car park in Trowbridge has a parking machine that you have to enter your reg. number in. I entered my 1969, G reg into the machine and it said that that number is not recognised. It then asked if I was sure that the number is correct. I answered YES and it provided me with a ticket. ...
by King Kenny
Sun Sep 20, 2026 1:38 pm
Forum: Mechanical
Topic: Engine Bay Smoke
Replies: 11
Views: 1533

Re: Engine Bay Smoke

It costs nothing to look. Do the cheep checks first. Depending what system you have, it varies over the years. Mine has a rubber pipe from the rocker cover to the air filter.Oil was dripping everywhere and when I checked this pipe it was clogged. A new pipe cleared all the oil leaks. Check with your...
by King Kenny
Sat Sep 19, 2026 5:20 pm
Forum: Mechanical
Topic: Engine Bay Smoke
Replies: 11
Views: 1533

Re: Engine Bay Smoke

Blocked engine breather tubes will give rise to higher engine pressure and oil will find its way out somewhere.
by King Kenny
Sat Sep 19, 2026 5:17 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Can you really fix them on the side of the roadway?
Replies: 10
Views: 1303

Re: Can you really fix them on the side of the roadway?

If you have not got a garage...
IMG_2770 copy Medium.jpeg
IMG_2770 copy Medium.jpeg (78.93 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
by King Kenny
Sun Sep 13, 2026 11:54 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Wiper efficiency?
Replies: 33
Views: 6499

Re: Wiper efficiency?

I have not had a decent set of wiper blades for years, both for my Traveller and for the Mrs's modern car. I think that they make them without proper rubber nowadays. In the past I used to buy one 20inch blade and cut it in half and rethread my old arms.
by King Kenny
Tue Sep 08, 2026 6:34 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Brake shoes…..
Replies: 4
Views: 960

Re: Brake shoes…..

Yes, been there. I have found that springs on first is less stressful.
by King Kenny
Fri Aug 28, 2026 3:14 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: My Moggie likes to let off a little parp now and then!
Replies: 8
Views: 2351

Re: My Moggie likes to let off a little parp now and then!

I used to test my cars ignition timing by coasting down the hill from Bath to Bradford on Avon. If she parped all the way down I knew everything was alright.However I did fit a stainless exhaust and the amount of parping has been drastically reduced. I love a good parp.
by King Kenny
Thu Aug 20, 2026 2:22 pm
Forum: Bodywork
Topic: travellerRear doors weather strip
Replies: 1
Views: 2709

Re: travellerRear doors weather strip

I have just re-fitted the weather strip around the door frame on my Traveller. The doors are old and warped. It is a pig of a job to get perfect, then the wood shrinks or swells and everything goes to pot. In 46 years of ownership, two replacement wood frames and lots of work, I can't remember havin...
by King Kenny
Wed Aug 12, 2026 3:51 pm
Forum: Bodywork
Topic: Horn Push
Replies: 6
Views: 2447

Re: Horn Push

Short answer is, no. The later ones are plastic. The early, banjo type are a sort of bakelite and bakelite is prone to cracking if abused.
by King Kenny
Fri Jul 31, 2026 8:03 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: ÑOS Lockheed brake shoes
Replies: 9
Views: 2510

Re: ÑOS Lockheed brake shoes

They were all you could get in the old days. When they wear down the rivet heads gouge two slots in the drum. Ask me how I know???
by King Kenny
Wed Jul 29, 2026 3:35 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Mystery…..
Replies: 8
Views: 4500

Re: Mystery…..

The same thing happens to spanners. I'm working under the car, perhaps adjusting the clutch linkage, and `i'm using a 1/4 whitworth spanner. I put it by my side for a second to use a 5/16th spanner. When I reach down to pick up the 1/4 inch, it's gone! I then spent three quarters of an hour looking ...
by King Kenny
Sat Jul 18, 2026 6:19 am
Forum: Mechanical
Topic: Rebore——thing of the past !
Replies: 4
Views: 4140

Re: Rebore——thing of the past !

I have not heard of these either. I fitted a set of CORD piston rings during a refurb of my Traveller's engine about 30 years age.
by King Kenny
Mon Jul 06, 2026 8:07 pm
Forum: Electrical
Topic: LED bulbs for flat lenses
Replies: 13
Views: 4711

Re: LED bulbs for flat lenses

Second that. Duncan sorted mine out. He also pointed out that red bulbs shine brighter in a red lens than white ones do. And amber bulbs shine brighter in an amber lens than white ones do.
by King Kenny
Wed Jun 10, 2026 7:51 pm
Forum: Bodywork
Topic: Fitting traveller wood frame
Replies: 4
Views: 7616

Re: Fitting traveller wood frame

I know DUMDUM was used on the production line but there are better alternatives now. When I removed my old wood the DUM DUM had indeed dried out and was cracking. I now use black Gutter seal from a tube. That seals permanently and is easier to apply. I know it's not as original, but unless you are b...
by King Kenny
Sat Jun 06, 2026 12:17 pm
Forum: Bodywork
Topic: Felt? strips found in door
Replies: 15
Views: 8029

Re: Felt? strips found in door

I think that they should be stuck to the the window bump stop to prevent the glass from rattling. As for the membrane, I used double sided tape to stick down pieces cut from sheet of plastic. I know these door cards are expensive, I just bought new ones for my Traveller. It is always nice to find tr...
by King Kenny
Wed Jun 03, 2026 1:39 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Safety and protection for a Minor on a residential street
Replies: 12
Views: 7536

Re: Safety and protection for a Minor on a residential street

Hi Donna. I have left my Traveller on the street for most of her life with no cover. The best thing you can do is Waxoil or Lanogard the underside and internal box sections and use the car as much as you can.
by King Kenny
Wed Jun 03, 2026 1:08 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: do you MOT? Why?
Replies: 39
Views: 17835

Re: do you MOT? Why?

When we lived in France classic cars had an MOT equivalent every 5 years which seemed right for the use I put my Traveller through, Newer cars had an MOT every two years. I intend to do the same now that we have returned to the UK. I have owned and maintained my Traveller for 47 years and I will kno...
by King Kenny
Tue Jun 02, 2026 8:54 pm
Forum: Electrical
Topic: Horns working intermittently
Replies: 18
Views: 10865

Re: Horns working intermittently

I can't say that it is the same with you, but my Traveller horn would sometimes not sound. I checked the horn and the wiring and found nothing wrong. Then I took the horn push out from the steering wheel and cleaned the contacts. Not had a problem since.
by King Kenny
Sun May 24, 2026 5:30 pm
Forum: Mechanical
Topic: Stuttering in lower gears
Replies: 11
Views: 11356

Re: Stuttering in lower gears

" the fan belt btw, as previously suggested, as that is tight as a drum " I hope you are exaggerating. There should be a little slack on the belt so as not to strain the bearings. About 1/4 inch from memory. As to your problem, it may be fuel vapourisation. When the temperature under the b...